Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Journey Begins...

While I'm not sure who will actually be reading my blog, I will be updating it fairly often nonetheless.  In case you aren't already aware, God has been working in my life in some pretty serious ways recently.  After feeling led to quit my job last year, I took some time off to try to figure out where the next step of my journey would lead me.  I did a bit of traveling around the U.S. only to discover that God had much bigger plans for me.  

As I tried to figure out where God wanted me, I went through a very draining period of brokenness and rebuilding.  I felt like everything was going right in everyone's life but my own.  I was sad; I was lonely; I was confused; I was mad at God.  Finally, after many different doors began to open for me, I felt like I was finally being led somewhere (albeit, not somewhere that I had even remotely anticipated going).  I was being led to Estonia.

Up until February of 2008 I wasn't even aware that Estonia existed.  Maybe I was ignorant, or maybe I was just like most people (quite possibly YOU) and had never heard of the little country in eastern Europe.  I learned more about Estonian life when one of my best friends went there on a mission trip.  She fell in love with the culture and the people, and she returned to Atlanta telling me how much I would love it there.  I trust my friend's judgement, but I never thought God would lead me to spend my entire summer in Estonia...
Until now.

In February of 2009 I spoke to my college pastor at Buckhead Church about feeling led to do some sort of missions work during the summer.  A couple of days later he told  me about an internship opportunity in Estonia that would involve me using my gifts to witness to Estonian students while establishing meaningful relationships with them.  The internship sounded like every little detail I had hoped for all put into one job.  After further investigation and prayer, I felt like this was the opportunity that God wanted me to pursue.

That leads me to where I am now.

I am leaving on June 5 to spend approximately two months in Estonia working with students across the country.  I will be an intern with an organization called Josiah Venture, and I will help run "English camps" for Estonian students; our goal is to help students feel more comfortable speaking in conversational English while presenting the Gospel to them in a non-threatening way. 

Estonia is arguably the least religious country in the world, and I am hoping to be a part of changing that.  Many Estonians feel threatened by Americans; they think all we care about is converting them.  My goal is to be a beacon of LIGHT through my actions more than anything else.  I want my new friends to see the joy I have found in Jesus Christ without me having to tell them how much God has done for me.  I know I won't be able to witness strictly through my lifestyle, but I'm hoping that God will work more through my work than through my words.

As I continue to prepare for this incredible experience, I want to ask you for your support in the following ways:

1.   PRAYER for the TEAM ---  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE pray for strength, courage, endurance, and unity for everyone on the Estonia team.  We will grow tired and weary, but our strength will be renewed.  Please pray for us as we stretch ourselves mentally and physically.  Ask the Lord to protect us and to continually remind us of who He is and why we serve Him.

2.  PRAYER for the STUDENTS --- Please pray for the students to be open to the Lord both as we work with them and after each camp is finished.  Ask God to continue to work in their lives long after the summer.  Pray for incredible life change for every person we encounter.

3.  FINANCIAL SUPPORT ---  I was very late in the application process, so I have to raise $3,300 plus the cost of airfare (approximately $1,500) by May 1st.  I know that given the way the economy is right now it is going to be quite a stretch for anyone to donate support, but I appreciate ANY help you can offer.

4.  CORRESPONDENCE --- Please stay in touch with me throughout the summer!  I would love to hear from you, and I will try to check my email (LoBake@comcast.net) and my blog as often as possible.  Any glimpse of home life will be quite a comfort, especially since I will be gone for both the birth of my nephew and for my mother's 29th (*cough, 50TH!, cough*) birthday.  Send me pictures, updates, ANYTHING please!

Thank you so, so much for your support as I begin this incredible adventure.  I can't wait to tell you more about it as everything progresses.  

Peace and Love,

A Sojourner

No comments:

Post a Comment