Sunday, June 7, 2009

Welcome to Estonia

I'm here!  It's currently 8:18 p.m. and a lovely 53 degrees Fahrenheit in Tartu.  The other American intern, Brett, and I arrived in Tallinn last night around 6:00 (after our flight from Frankfurt was delayed for an hour as we sat on the tarmac) and were picked up by a husband and his wife, Inar and Siri (I probably misspelled their names).  We began the 2 1/2 hour drive to Tartu and stopped along the way to eat at a quaint little restaurant that used to be a windmill.  We finally got in to Tartu around 10:00, and I met my new boss, Chris, and his wife, Liina.  I'm going to be living with them when we're in Tartu, and they're awesome people.  I crashed not long after getting settled in, and I slept for about 11 hours (though now it doesn't feel like I slept long enough).  
We went to church this morning at Risttee Church and I got to meet a lot of new friends.  After church we (Chris, Liina, Brett, and two Estonian girls, Kati and Evelin) went to lunch at a restaurant that has a giant bird cage inside it along with 2 WC's (water closets, obviously) that look like giant bird's eggs.  Liina had to leave after lunch, so Chris, Brett, and I went to get coffee in the city square while Evelin and Kati ran a few errands.  We met up again and went to see "Angels and Demons" (movie tickets here cost half the price they do in America) during which I fell asleep.  Oops.  Chris, Brett, and I came home and spent some time talking and getting to know each other better.

I'm getting ready to go to bed again since work starts tomorrow.  I have to be at the church office at 9:45 tomorrow so I can participate in the 10:00 staff meeting.  After a few hours of work we will have lunch and get ready to leave for intern training.  Brett, Evelin, and I are the only interns, so we have our work cut out for us.  We will spend the next few days in the Estonian countryside where we'll be planning and doing a lot of team-building activities.  I'm excited to really get into the work, and I should be back in Tartu on Friday with lots to report about our plans for the camps.  Until then, I believe I will be incommunicado.  Thank you for your prayers...keep them up!  Ciao!

Oh, and for some unknown reason I can't upload any pictures right now, so I'll post some later.

Peace and Love,
Lo B.

4 comments:

  1. How fun!!! I can't wait to hear all about it! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, you made it! Did you have time to eat a Frankfurter in the airport?

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! :D Me likey your blog :D hahahaa

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you mde it safely.. and jealous you got to eat breakfast in an egg.

    ReplyDelete